Our new meeting time and venue seemed to draw the crowds as we had more SAND Action Group members turn up on Wednesday at the SAND Office than we have had for a while and how lovely it was to see everyone – and to welcome our new Treasurer, Maria (in the middle in red)! So, lots of ‘new’ things going on – and we’ll get some pictures and rainbows up in there very soon.
When we’re a bit more settled we’ll identify a slot for a tea/coffee drop-in thingy and get the word out via our New Newsletter – so make sure you are signed up to receive it – click here: Lovely Newsletter.
Meanwhile, we are delighted to report that we have a couple of new Well-Wishers so come on, don’t be shy – you too can join the merry band of folk who give £2 or £3 per month to keep the SAND castles in development! Click here for the info: Well Wishers Form.
Our 2 major bits of work at the moment are:
- our research funded by Healthwatch – where we are talking to health care professionals about what they know about specific issues facing trans people and how they currently provide trans appropriate healthcare.
- the development and delivery of training to residential and domiciliary health care providers to raise awareness of older and old LGBT people.
In the background, we are also planning some conversation with AgeUK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin about their befriending service and what their volunteers can do to support older and old LGBT people.
As the sun shines with the start of Summer, so too are we feeling a burst of bright energy. You may recall that we have started identifying little volunteering jobs so, if you want to get involved without making a mega commitment then we are the ones for you.
Volunteer jobs for June:
- We need someone to do a bit of a trawl to identify magazines targeting older people in Shropshire. Once we know these we can include articles/editorials about SAND to try to find more older and old LGBT people. We need a list of magazines/newsletters with contact details – importantly WHO to contact and where they are.
- We want to start a little library of non-fiction LGBT books. We need someone to write to publishers and ask for donations of books.
The secret is to assume that we need you – please don’t leave it for someone else if you are interested 🙂
And – we are still after some bits and pieces for the office (in bold below) so if you can donate any of these then please do:
A table – approx 5ft x 3ft
2 wooden kitchen chairs
1 office chair
3 folding chairs
- 1 tub chair
- 1 small set of drawers (or set of small drawers!)
- 1 colour laser-jet printer – preferably one of these http://www.brother.co.uk/printers/colour-laser-printers/hl3150cdw
1 standard lamp
1 desk lamp
1 table lamp
- 2 cushions
1 two-drawer filing cabinet
a 2-drawer filing cabinet
- 1 coat stand
1 umbrella stand
This Blog records what is happening at which point of SAND’s development.