…. and it’s been all go since we last blogged!
17th October was our big Spirit of SAND event and we couldn’t have been more proud. Over 40 people came along to share an afternoon of film, song, conversation, presentation and ideas. Amongst them were many service providers from different sectors as well as representation from our LGBT community. There is a whole load of information for us to collate here’s a taste from when we asked everyone to share a WOW moment from the afternoon:
- the importance of sharing experiences in the form of stories, so the issues come to life
- the difference between acceptance (behind closed doors) and celebrating/embracing the difference between people – and the size of that impact
- The Too Old to Remember song highlighted that everyone’s story should be celebrated no matter who they are and every relationship is beautiful!
- The fear that LGBT people may have of open intimacy with a loved one
- If individuals don’t feel safe/accepted – how many people are pretending every day?
- Given the statistics we have seen today….8 or 9 of our service users are probably not living as themselves
- It’s not about me. I ,may be comfortable but we need to make others comfortable living in their own skin
- Saying “we don’t need to mention inclusivity – we’re ok” is actually making a choice to do and be the opposite